I haven’t posted on here for a while, although I have been busy snapping away. I shall try and upload some of my pictures retrospectively over the coming weeks.
This week’s NCFE project was to create a montage or joiner by taking 10-20 pictures of a subject and stitching them together either by hand (I doubt anyone has chosen this option) or using some form of editing software.
We were allowed some time during the lesson to trial both the capture and the editing using the colleges licenses of photoshop. Below is my first attempt. This is one of the ancillary buildings at the college where I take my evening classes. We are fortunate to have some interesting buildings to capture (and even more lucky that the weather held out!).
Although not completely satisfied with the end result there are several elements I was pleased with. First of all I successfully took 12 pictures that could be stitched together into a composite whole. Equally the final piece is a relatively accurate reflection of subject.
Now for the points that I was less happy with. The evening sun ensured that maintaining an even exposure through the various shots was a challenge and one that I did not completely master. The top right of the finished product is overexposed washing out much of the detail. My overlaps were too sporadic. The frame second from bottom left barely features as about 90% of its area is duplicated in the neighbouring frames. Finally, and almost in contradiction to the last point, the frames almost seem too regimented; The expanse of grass on the bottom and sky at the top allow for a square of result, which detracts from the collage feel that was intended.
To improve these I ventured out in the rain this morning to try and capture a new scene. This was my first attempt in conditions other than bright sunlight. I’m pleased to say that other than soggy feet I enjoyed it and think the overcast nature brought out different colours than are normally available. For a subject I chose the ruins at Virginia Water. These were transported from Libya as a folly for Queen Victoria. The finished result is below.
I’m much more pleased with this attempt. The width of field is much greater than the first attempt. Partly as the subject was bigger and partly as the railings meant I had to stand closer to it, although I would have done this deliberately had the restriction not been present. This gave the finished work the curved effect seen above.
I’d learnt more about the post production work since my lesson and was able to add the thicker drop shadows that helped to add to the collage feeling that I was aiming for.
This is the first occasion I have spent any significant time editing work post capture. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I realise that the above work represents only a toe in the ocean in terms of Adobe Elements’ capability. I look forward to learning more as intend to take on more projects like this.
Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed my post. Please feel free to leave any comments below.